Wednesday, June 13, 2012

BBQ Buttermilk Onion Rings

Ok!  Back to Homemade Barbecue Buttermilk Onion Rings.  I came across this recipe on Joy the Baker's Blog (you may remember her from the Vegan Chocolate Avocado Cake). 


These were actually started the same day my helper and I made Soup.  I mixed together all of the first ingredients and coated the rings of onion.


Next, poured the buttermilk over and let sit.  As they were sitting, we realized the soup was going to take longer than expected and we probably weren't going to have time to finish and fry the onion rings.  So they actually sat in my fridge in the barbecue-buttermilk mixture for over 24 hours.  I think it actually made them a little more awesome because the onion soaked up more of the flavors.  Joy's recipe says to heat them in a pan of oil, but I had a deep fryer, so we used that instead.  Just make sure that if you use a deep fryer it gets the oil hot enough (or at least close, I think were were up to 350 and the recipe says 360).  Dredge the onion in the flour mixture, and fry!


You can only do so many at once, so she says to line a pan with paper towel (to soak up the oil), and put it in an oven heated to 150 (or in my case, the "warm" setting).  We put some paper towel on plate to soak up the oil, then every so often when we had a small pile build up, we threw them on the pan in the oven.  There's also a great BBQ buttermilk dipping sauce in the recipe.  We ran into a little issue with it.  It calls for 1 teaspoon hot sauce.  Well, I grabbed what I thought was the teaspoon, but we later realized that on it was written "1 tsp" with "1 1/2 tsp" written underneath. I'm still not sure what that's supposed to mean, but when I looked at the rest of them there was one a little smaller that just said "1 tsp."  However, my helper thought it would have tasted too bland without the extra hot sauce.  Either way, they were delicious :)


No comments:

Post a Comment