Monday, June 11, 2012

Soup's On!


This blog is all about soup.  It was almost a blog about an insane amount of onions, but since we didn't finish the onion rings, it's just going to be about the 2 soups my helper and I made.  There were still something like 7lbs of onions in the French Onion Soup though!  Plus another onion in the Mushroom Soup.

First off, here's a helpful video we watched on how to slice onions:


The first soup we started was French Onion Soup.  I substituted vegetable broth for the beef/chicken stock and used dry sherry for the wine.  The first step is to caramelize the 6 large onions.   This is where I got lucky having a helper.  I probably would have just sauteed the onions and given up there.  Despite taking longer than the 30-40 minutes the recipe said (my helper kept stirring/flipping them so they took longer to cook), my helper made sure they were thoroughly caramelized.  We started with a large pot and a smaller pan because all of the onions wouldn't fit into my one big pot, them combined them once they cooked down enough.

The onions after they cooked down enough to fit in one pan
When the onions are fully caramelized, they should be brownish in color, and have cooked down a LOT!


After this we added the minced garlic and it smelled SOOOOO good! Then added the rest of the soup ingredients and let it simmer for a half hour.  Next, top it with the toasted French Bread and shredded Gruyere cheese.


Bake/broil until the cheese in melted and browned on top, and voilà!


It tasted like French Onion soup, but it was nothing amazing.  Just awesome knowing it was made from scratch, and it's vegetarian.  Now I can use some of the leftovers to made my dad's homemade spaghetti sauce!  The only thing we would possibly change with this is caramelizing the onions in butter rather than oil, which makes sense being a French dish.

While that one was simmering, we started the Mushroom Soup.  I was told I had to use the Anthony Bourdain Recipe.  It starts out looking a like a mushroom stew, but like the broccoli soup, it gets blended.


The finished product looks a little weird, and seems a little simple, but it's actually really good.  We both agreed it tasted a bit oily, but we think that's because I used margarine rather than real butter.  I've been told I need to start cooking with real butter in general.  My helper also thought more pepper.  I'd like to play around with different garnishing with the leftovers too.


Hopefully, if all goes according to plan, I'll have a blog about homemade barbeque buttermilk onion rings in the next couple of days.  My helper also thinks we should try making croissants sometime, so maybe more baking!  Yay!  :oD

No comments:

Post a Comment